I took calculus at 7:30 a.m., four times a week.
“Took calculus” is an exaggeration. I mostly ate the free breakfast provided to me by the good taxpayers of Illinois and wrote dumb fiction in my notebook.
(This is, for the record, the year that got me kicked out of school.
It was not a good year, at all.)
And every time I got a C on a test, I’d go into the professor’s office because that’s what you did when you were getting a C, and I’d say “I don’t know what’s wrong with me,” and he’d say “don’t worry, you’re good”.
All year long. I’d show up in his office, shivering in a heavy sweater even on warm days, dark eyes, polite. Apologetic. C+. Homework un-done.
“You’re good,” he’d say.
(He looked a little like a walrus. Just for context. And your visual needs.)
And then it was May and I was going to fail and I was in his office and he told me “you’re good,” and I said “if I was good, I wouldn’t be failing, would I,” and he laughed and said “oh, I didn’t mean good at math”.
All year long.
“I didn’t mean good at math”.
When I think about high school, it was a single week-long period in which a whole group of wonderful people let me be their friend and I was in love with a girl who wanted to hold my hand (not for the same reason that I wanted to hold her hand, but it was enough) and we all laid in the sun atop a concrete slab in the middle of campus.
I forget, usually, that I failed that final. He passed me, anyway. I don’t know why.
At the top of my list of goals is to go back and speak to that high school, but what would I even say?
You don’t have to be good at math, you just have to be good.
- -musicbox likes this
- bringthegun likes this
- eldetectivesalvaje likes this
- definingnormal reblogged this from douce--amere
- definingnormal likes this
- douce--amere reblogged this from elesheva
- douce--amere likes this
- stayhungry--stayfoolish likes this
- sydney-likethecity likes this
- reeling-realist reblogged this from elesheva
- chicagochi reblogged this from elesheva
- chicagochi likes this
- quarkycharm reblogged this from elesheva
- adjectivelyamber likes this
- bromancing-the-stone likes this
- darlinimtired reblogged this from iamperceived
- darlinimtired likes this
- fartdonkey likes this
- tallerthantrees likes this
- evanescentreverie likes this
- such-a-happy-camper reblogged this from dddisenchant and added:
- dddisenchant reblogged this from iamperceived
- heartstupidity likes this
- brindiddles likes this
- runnerrebelandastunner reblogged this from iamperceived
- imsushistarved reblogged this from iamperceived
- iamperceived reblogged this from xanthocomically
- roguefox likes this
- roxie-hart likes this
- spidercamp likes this
- melancholera likes this
- thirdheat likes this
- somanypossibilities likes this
- whiskeybot likes this
- hugacat likes this
- xanthocomically reblogged this from elesheva
- xanthocomically likes this
- nobodystays likes this
- counttheleaves likes this
- tomaskosauce likes this
- rogerrr likes this
- onethousandtwo likes this
- carrie-nations likes this
- inhalingtheinferno likes this
- perdedor likes this
- firelightwaltz said: your writing is so good it makes me want to cry or something. how are you a person, liz.
- firelightwaltz likes this
- brighteryellow likes this
- asapdothraki likes this
- chaffee-bicknell said: wow. i really loved this a lot and is kind of what i needed to read right now, so thank you.